Mike Mandel: Good 70s (Without Pack of 10 Vintage Photographer Baseball Cards) [SIGNED]
Publisher: New York: D.A.P./J&L Books, 2015
Edition: 1st Edition
Binding: Boxed Set
Condition: New / No dust jacket as issued
Item #: 112492
Price is net to all; promotional discounts do not apply.
First edition, first printing. Boxed set. Signed in black marker on the box lid by Mandel. Photographically illustrated cardstock box, containing items listed below. Photographs and artist's projects by Mike Mandel. Text by Sandra S. Phillips. Edited by Mike Mandel, Jason Fulford and Sharon Helgason Gallagher. 227 pp. total, with 50 four-color and 250 black-and-white reproductions, plus 135 cards. Box measures 12-3/4 x 9-1/2 inches. This first edition is limited to 1000 copies.
The edition quickly sold out and is now out of print.
1) Facsimile of Myself: Timed Exposures. Originally published in 1971. Soft cover. Photographically illustrated wrappers (saddle bound); no dust jacket as issued. Photographs and introduction by Mike Mandel. Unpaginated (36 pp.), with black-and-white plates throughout. 5-1/2 x 8-1/2 inches.
2) Facsimile of Seven Never Before Seen Portraits of Edward Weston. Originally published in 1974. Soft cover. Photographically illustrated wrappers (saddle bound); no dust jacket as issued. Photographs and introduction by Mike Mandel. Unpaginated (20 pp.), with 4 black-and-white plates and 3 four-color plates. 8-3/8 x 5-1/2 inches.
3) Facsimile complete set of Baseball-Photographer Trading Cards (135 cards). Originally published in 1975. 134 individual trading cards, plus 1 additional card listing the complete checklist of participating photographers. Photographs by Mike Mandel. Texts, statistics and quotes by the respective artists printed on verso. Each card 3-1/2 x 2-1/2 inches.
4) Previously unpublished projects: Motel Postcards, People in Cars, and Mrs. Kilpatric.
5) Ephemera, including selected facsimile contact sheets from the baseball photo shoots and a letter regarding Edward Weston from Charis Wilson to Mandel.
From the publisher: "Mike Mandel is best known for his project Baseball-Photographer Trading Cards, as well as his collaborations with the late Larry Sultan. Mandel employs conceptual structures and social commentary underneath a playful presentation. For the Baseball-Photographer Trading Cards, Mandel traveled across the US in 1974, posing 134 photographers and curators as ball players, and photographing them. Participants included famous figures (Ansel Adams, Imogen Cunningham, Harry Callahan, Minor White, Aaron Siskind, William Eggleston, Ed Ruscha, John Szarkowski) as well as lesser-known artists. Cards were made of each participant, and included 'stats' such as height, weight, home, favorite camera and a personal statement. The original cards were sold in packs of ten.
This boxed collection--published in a limited edition of 1,000 copies--contains facsimiles of Mandel's original publications, long out of print, including the Baseball-Photographer Trading Cards, Myself: Timed Exposures, Seven Never Before Seen Portraits of Edward Weston, plus previously unpublished work such as Motel Postcards, People in Cars and Mrs. Kilpatric, and ephemera from the projects, including selected facsimile contact sheets from the baseball photo shoots and a letter to Mandel from Charis Wilson regarding Edward Weston."